There are a number of resources in the community to help you achieve better health. To access these resources, click on the links below.
For pregnant mothers:
- Breastfeeding class: Learn tips for successful breastfeeding, prepare and ask questions before baby arrives. This class is offered in Smithfield and Clayton. Cost: $30/couple
- Lamaze class: This class teaches pregnant mothers and their partners many techniques to make the labor process less painful and promote normal birth. It also covers what to expect in the first few moments after birth. This class is offered in Smithfield and Clayton. Cost: $80/couple.
For better health:
- Diabetes education: This group class is for anyone diagnosed with diabetes: Type 1, Type 2 or gestational diabetes. Discussion includes causes for diabetes, chronic problems, meal planning, exercise, medication information and more. Set goals with a supportive staff for better health. This class meets at the Johnston Medical Mall in Smithfield (across from the hospital) the 4th Thursday of each month. Covered by most insurance providers.
- Smoking cessation:
- The Johnston County Health Department offers an 8-week smoking cessation class/support group. Visit the website or call Kimetha Fulwood at (919) 989-5200 to learn more.
- QuitlineNC provides free cessation services to any North Carolina resident who needs help quitting tobacco use. Quit Coaching is available in different forms, including telephone support 24/7 and internet web coaching, to help any tobacco user give up tobacco for a healthier lifestyle.
- WeightWatchers: HealthQuest at the Medical Mall in Smithfield is providing Weight Watchers meetings on Wednesday evenings at 6:00 PM. You must be a Weight Watchers member to attend.
- Respiratory Health Support: The “Better Breathers Club” provides support and education for those with chronic respiratory diseases such as emphysema, asthma, and chronic bronchitis. Medical professionals including doctors, nurses, therapists and dietitians present these informative programs. These meetings are held in both Smithfield and Clayton. Admission is free and open to the public.
- Johnston Health provides a number of support resources. Click the link for more information on the following:
Cancer Support, Caregiver Support, Senior Centers in Johnston County, Home Delivered Meals, Transportation, In-home Aides and Volunteer Services and more.