As family physicians our goal is always to help patients enjoy a healthy lifestyle. For patients with chronic medical issues, such as diabetes, that requires a bit more work — both by the physician and by the patient. When patients take a proactive approach in their own healthcare, overall health generally improves.
We are pleased to share the results of our Physician Quality Reports with our patients. Our diabetic patients who are participating in a healthy lifestyle have realized improved health and contributed to our success. Simply put, working together, patients are healthier!
Our diabetic patient success stories in 2015:
- 97% of patients had an Hbg A1C test.
- 84% of those tested had an A1C below 9.
- 76% received the flu vaccine.
- 100% are also monitoring blood pressure.
- 89% are also monitoring lipids.
Opportunities to improve:
While we do have great success in some areas, patients can improve health with additional monitoring:
- Only 58% of diabetic patients had an eye exam in 2015. All diabetics should have an annual eye exam to watch for diabetic retinopathy, a serious complication that can lead to vision loss in diabetics.
- 11% of diabetics still use tobacco products. While tobacco use is harmful to everyone, the risk of complications from tobacco use is even more significant in diabetics.
We encourage all our patients to engage in a healthy lifestyle. Regular exercise and a healthy diet high in fruits and vegetables (not fried) goes a long way toward improved health.
If you are ready to take the next step toward better health, whether diabetic or not, please schedule an appointment with your physician. We can help you develop an exercise plan or help you monitor and improve your dietary choices. Together, we can achieve your health goals.
For more information on all topics related to diabetes, click here.
To track your blood sugars (glucose), use this blood sugar log.
To track your blood pressure, use this blood pressure log.